Avatar: The Last Airbender 1gpaddicts

Welcome to the GoPets Addict Forum.

If you are a member please log in now.

If you are not a member please take a couple of minutes to register now.

Thank You and enjoy our forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Avatar: The Last Airbender 1gpaddicts

Welcome to the GoPets Addict Forum.

If you are a member please log in now.

If you are not a member please take a couple of minutes to register now.

Thank You and enjoy our forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Go down

Avatar: The Last Airbender Empty Avatar: The Last Airbender

Post by niquae Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:04 pm

In anticipation of the movie that is coming out on Jul 1st, I decided to check out what the cartoon was like. The humor is rather juvenile but I enjoy the show. I hope not to be too disappointed with the film version, which looked somewhat interesting in the previews.

Is anyone else intending to watch the movie?
niquae
niquae
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Avatar: The Last Airbender Empty Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender

Post by momtomaeghan Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:52 am

My daughter keeps talking about it so I'll probably end up seeing it, lol.
momtomaeghan
momtomaeghan
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Asynjur Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:30 pm

We saw a preview in the movie theater that looked pretty cool, but I might wait to see what friends think once they've seen the actual movie before I decide if I want to go.

My friend (she was Tiber on GoPets) posted a pic on Facebook of her little boy with two of the stars in Airbender, Nicola Peltz and Jackson Rathbone. Her little boy was the only one who had brought in his own comic book to be signed at the appearance, and the official photographer took lots of pics of him with the stars, he had a blast.
Asynjur
Asynjur
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

https://verenahodge.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by niquae Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:49 pm

Asynjur wrote:We saw a preview in the movie theater that looked pretty cool, but I might wait to see what friends think once they've seen the actual movie before I decide if I want to go.
My friend (she was Tiber on GoPets) posted a pic on Facebook of her little boy with two of the stars in Airbender, Nicola Peltz and Jackson Rathbone. Her little boy was the only one who had brought in his own comic book to be signed at the appearance, and the official photographer took lots of pics of him with the stars, he had a blast.
The previews did make the movie look cool. 
That sounds like a great experience for Tiber's little boy.
I went and saw the movie this morning. I went in with high expectations which the movie failed to meet. I liked the soundtrack, which I was not too surprised about since I like the composer's work. The 3D effects were neat but I feel that the technology is not yet advanced to allow a clear viewing of all parts of the film in 3D. The background images, especially faces, came out blurry, which made it a pain to watch. I noticed this when I watched Cameron's Avatar in 3D.
The martial arts was lovely and graceful, especially for the Water tribe. The cartoon has lots of slapstick humor and corny jokes but in the movie, they left a lot of that out. When I got home, I managed to catch the last 10 minutes of The Last Airbender Revealed on TV where M. Night says that the movie kept going into a more serious direction as it was being produced.
Aang's characterization turned out a little disappointing because he is not the little boy who is still trying to have a fun childhood while struggling to bear the heavy responsibilities of the Avatar. Instead, he is a very serious boy who is struggling to be a good Avatar. What I liked about the cartoon was Aang's transformation from that mischievous little boy into an adolescent who accepts his responsibilities as he sees what the Fire Nation has done to the rest of the world. The movie presents only one side of Aang.
And they got rid of the Kyoshi Warriors! Shocked
The Firelord Ozai as well as Commander Zhao have bigger roles.
The movie seemed a lot shorter than Book 1 of the cartoon. I was shocked when the movie ended because it seemed as if hardly anything happened. Overall, it wasn't too bad but I wouldn't say it was really good.
niquae
niquae
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Asynjur Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:15 pm

It's become a fad to add post production 3D to movies that weren't filmed in 3D, and this was yet another one. I hope this fad stops soon. I don't even like it with the movies that are supposed to be in 3D, I want a good story, not vertigo, LOL.

I checked the user reviews at IMDb and they're being brutal, many are only one star. A lot of people were really disappointed, even people who didn't know the TV show. The defenders of the movie who did like it, say things like it was "pretty good"--it's not like a ringing endorsement that it was great, LOL. I only saw one review that gave it all 10 stars and said they loved it.

So I'll probably just Netflix is later. I don't know what it is with these big budget movies lately, they have all this cash but can't put a decent story together. I think the script is too much of an afterthought. Gone are the days when people would labor for years to bring a project they love to the screen.
Asynjur
Asynjur
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

https://verenahodge.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by niquae Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:07 pm

After I left this review, I saw more reviews of this movie and -- nearly all critics and fans are being brutal. Although I wasn't too pleased either, I didn't think it was that bad. Shocked
niquae
niquae
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiswick Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:13 am

My friend texted me right after seeing the movie telling me not to see it. Kinda sad since I really liked the show, but then again I don't want to shell out $10 for a movie that probably won't be good.
Chiswick
Chiswick
Team Player
Team Player

Back to top Go down

Post by niquae Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:26 am

Despite my initial disappointment with the movie, I kind of want to see it again. I was surprised to hear from both my sisters that they too wanted to watch it again. I don't know why they do, but as for myself, I think that I stopped paying attention to the movie about halfway through and so I don't remember too much about it. lol. However, we don't really want to spend more money to watch it so I guess I'll wait for it to come out as a rental.

I am kind of interested in seeing how M. Night will convert Book 2 and Book 3 into film. Will he introduce Suki the Kyoshi Warrior? How will he envision Aang's fight with Fire Lord Ozai? Will the actress who plays Toph manage to pull it off? Toph is my favorite character in the cartoon.

niquae
niquae
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Gankaku Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:28 pm

I liked some parts of the movie, but the worst thing is after it was over, I got more and more annoyed with what they did to it. I don't think I'd be interested in seeing the second or third book. Lots and lots of things I did not like.

The good thing!! There's a new Avatar series! Avatar: The Legend of Korra. Search it on google and you'll find out. I can't wait till it starts. We're big Avatar fans at home and we're so looking forward to this second series to start.
Gankaku
Gankaku
Team Player
Team Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down