Time for a new laptop/computer? 1gpaddicts

Welcome to the GoPets Addict Forum.

If you are a member please log in now.

If you are not a member please take a couple of minutes to register now.

Thank You and enjoy our forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Time for a new laptop/computer? 1gpaddicts

Welcome to the GoPets Addict Forum.

If you are a member please log in now.

If you are not a member please take a couple of minutes to register now.

Thank You and enjoy our forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time for a new laptop/computer?

4 posters

Go down

Time for a new laptop/computer? Empty Time for a new laptop/computer?

Post by niquae Fri May 14, 2010 1:49 am

My laptop is a Dell XPS M1210 with Intel Core 2 CPU, T7200@2.00GHz, 1.66 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM, 60 GB of HD. It was purchased about 3-4 years ago. Maybe a little earlier. After reformatting several times, I generally do not use up more than 20 GB of HD these days - mostly because I'm afraid of slowing my laptop down even more. Yet, some days it seems that the most it can do is run one program at a time - if even that - without slowing down. My AV is up-to-date and runs somewhat regularly, and I am pretty sure I haven't got malware since my AV includes the whole security works. I have not tried defragmenting because even after a fresh reformat, I noticed these problems, which led me to believe that defragmenting would not really help much. And I guess my laptop got old because although I didn't have this problem when it was new, I now need an external fan because my laptop gets overheated.

Would you say that it's time to retire this laptop? Or maybe I ought to learn patience and stop multitasking on it?
niquae
niquae
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Time for a new laptop/computer? Empty Re: Time for a new laptop/computer?

Post by pandas07 Sat May 22, 2010 10:30 pm

This is a hard decision... how about flipping a coin? Time for a new laptop/computer? Icon_lol
pandas07
pandas07
Team Player
Team Player

Back to top Go down

Post by niquae Sun May 23, 2010 2:02 am

LOL. Not so hard decision. It all depends on whether it'll break my bank account or not. At the moment, I think it will. lol.

Update: A few days ago, my laptop started...whining. When it gets slightly overheated, it starts making noise. It was kind of inconvenient and embarrassing since I was studying in the library (final exam period) when it first occurred.

I have a fan but even then it occasionally makes that sound. I have learned about 25 minutes ago, however, that the sound will eventually go away. But I'm still afraid my laptop will blow up on me or something. Laughing
niquae
niquae
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Asynjur Sun May 23, 2010 1:15 pm

If the fan is wearing out, it will probably fail one day, and it might fry something important you're working on at that time. Repair generally isn't worth it for an older laptop, so I'd say it might be a good time to look around and see what you can afford. Good luck whatever you decide.
Asynjur
Asynjur
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

https://verenahodge.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by momtomaeghan Sun May 23, 2010 4:21 pm

I just had the outer casing replaced on my laptop (it was still under warranty and they actually sent someone to my house to do it Shocked ). It had cracked at the hinge and was slowly losing bits of plastic.

I used to have a tray under my laptop that had it's own built in fan - maybe that would help you keep yours alive until you get a new one?
momtomaeghan
momtomaeghan
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by niquae Wed May 26, 2010 2:17 am

Thank you for your input!

m2m, I actually do have a separate fan that goes under the laptop. I puchased it a few months back when I noticed that my laptop was getting so overheated, it would actually burn me. I find that it seems to help relieve the heat more, but sometimes then my laptop does get a bit heated and then...*insert whiny sound from laptop* Strangely enough, my outer casing on my laptop is also cracked at the hinge, and I have already lost some plastic. I thought that it might be because I might have dropped it hard on the floor one too many times when it was in my backpack or bag or something (although I didn't recall doing that often or at all).

Asynjur, I thought it might be the fan failing (I think I heard it sputter a time or two this past week), but I didn't realize that it might damage my files. I had better get my files backed up, and prioritize getting a new computer then.

Thanks again!
niquae
niquae
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Asynjur Wed May 26, 2010 3:16 am

Oh, I don't know if it literally fries your data, might damage other components, though.
Asynjur
Asynjur
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by niquae Wed May 26, 2010 4:34 am

I've been looking into new laptops/desktops and decided to:

1) Back up files and keep them backed up
2) Save up money
3) Wait for my laptop to die

That'll give me a good excuse to give to my parents about getting a new laptop/computer - although my current choice might make my sisters scream in horror. They really dislike Toshiba, having had a few poor experiences with it. However, the couple of computer-knowledgeable folks I've spoken to say Toshiba produces one of the better quality laptops so...
niquae
niquae
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Asynjur Wed May 26, 2010 2:12 pm

Sounds like a plan! Good luck!
Asynjur
Asynjur
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down